miércoles, 6 de julio de 2011

AMARANTHINE TRAMPLER "Morning Light, Empty Veins" (2011)

band: Amaranthine Trampler album: Morning Light, Empty Veins year: 2011
genres: funeral doom metal origin: United Kingdom


AN UNEXPECTED RETURN

Wait, I’m a bit confused. Few days ago, I was having one of those marvelous rainy evenings and I got in the mood for funeral doom metal albums. I played one of my favorite ones: “As the Colour of Love Flows from my Shattered Teeth” by one man project Amaranthine Trampler. As I was enjoying this outstanding album I wondered what happened with Lee Paxton, the man behind this and other projects. It had been a long time since the last time I knew something about him. His Myspace page seems to be abandoned since the last year, his mp3.com.au site in which you could download his music is down, and so is any official link to Paxton. Latter, I decided to visit his profile in Metal-Archives, and what an unexpected surprise! It seems like Amaranthine Trampler had just released a new album, a full-length album this time! But, where can we check that this is real or official? I downloaded the album from any blog, I took a sit and listened. Yes indeed, this is Amaranthine Trampler, no doubt about it.

Let me tell you a couple of things about why I love Amaranthine Trampler. First, its demo was one of the first underground funeral doom albums I heard (I mean, not including Thergothon, Skepticism, Esoteric and so on) and second, it is actually one of the best albums I’ve heard in the genre. So, as you can imagine, talking about the new things of a band to which you have so much affection is not as objective as one can expect from a common band. Furthermore, unfortunately Lee Paxton will suffer of the compare-with-past-album syndrome, at least for fans like me who love his demo.

This new album is entitled “Morning Light, Empty Veins”. Under a good coverart, we have more funeral doom metal that will not disappoint the listeners of this dark kind of music. It seems like this time Lee Paxton decided to include more elements or, at least, make a more dynamic album by adding more keys and ambient moments. In fact, first track “Life of Tragedy” is an atmospheric introduction featuring a nice sample from the movie “First Blood” (a Rambo’s movie). This sample is a dramatic moment that fits with the gloom of the album, and also reminds us another dramatic sample at “Envy the Dead” by Rot in Despair (another Paxton project). The main funeral doom metal songs in the album are only three tracks. These tracks are haunting with a good amount of darkness on them. The Amaranthine Trampler framework remains constant: slow drums, heavy riffage and, of course, that unique powerful guttural vocals with a nice use of echo in some moments. These growls are maybe one of the most attractive elements from Amaranthine Trampler, however, I find them more homogeneous and vertical than in the demo, in which Paxton had very expressive moments, almost sounding like a desperate cry, dare I say. He also used to stretch growls until screams. Paxton have no problem with stringing along this growls with clean vocals and spoken words. That’s, in my opinion, one of the haunting things of Amaranthine Trampler, this combination adds melancholy to vocal duties which is not that common in funeral doom metal.

What about guitars? Well, they’re heavy and slow enough for the genre, but… once again, they were heavier in the demo. They used to be even noisy, sometimes my speakers prayed for mercy. It is possible that the lower recording quality of the demo helped them to sound heavier. Check out the last track “In Astralic Harmony” from the new album. I may be a bit paranoiac, but riffs in this song are weak, even knowing that this seems to be the slowest piece in the album, which one can think that demands a denser atmosphere developed by heavier riffs. And talking about atmosphere, as I wrote above, Paxon has added more keys. For example, the first funeral doom track “Venturing Forth Into Struggle And Woe” features an outstanding organ session. I love this kind of bands to use organ. As in the demo, Paxton also includes some samples along the album, which sound very good. And, joining the atmosphere we have that simple and lifeless melodies played with clean guitars above the heavy riffs in some songs. Without doubt an extra point to Amranthine Trampler.

The strangest thing you’ll find in this album is the song “Roots Run Deep”. Remember some The Morningside songs that were clearly influenced by post-rock? This song sounds nothing but in the vein of The Morningside’s “The Third, the Autumnal” song. It’s a non-melancholic atmosphere driven by clean guitar melodies and some keys. This brings us an idea of how Paxton's musical influences have been changing through this last years. I do like this kind of songs since I’m a great fan of post-rock.

Amranthine Trampler’s new material is good, but, in my very own opinion, not as outstanding as his demo. I find the funeral doom metal songs from this album more monotonous and systematic, despite the new elements just added. Remember the dynamic song “The Box” from the demo, I was waiting for things like that. Nevertheless, this is a good album, and it’s recommended for funeral doom fans. It has the elements needed and originality on it. Sure you’ll find it interesting even if you listened to the demo before.

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario